Saturday, May 20, 2006

May 20, 2006

So here I am! Yesterday was one hell of a day... probably one of the worst days I've ever had. One of my suitcases was lost and I was told it would be on a flight 8pm last night, but still no news on it or it's current placement. It needs to come very soon because not only does it have my "everyday needs", it has my work shirts! Lots of other crap happened yesterday, but I'd rather not relive it! I ended up being up 24 hours yesterday, until 1am ADT. (check it out we have our own timezone!)

As we neared Anchorage yesterday on the flight, mountains were just peeping out of the clouds. It was amazing. Just like it looks on Google Earth :) Coming off of the plane and seeing the mountains was INCREDIBLE. We're just surrounded by them. They look so big because we're at sea-level even though they're only about 3000 ft up. The bigger mtns and Mt McKinley are in Denali which is between here and Fairbanks. I'll get up there soon.

I have three roommates, one of which is from Bloomsburg, PA! She is somewhat familiar with Penn State so that's nice having someone who knows where you're from. Two of them are grad students (one is almost 26) and the other is also going to be a senior like me. They're all super nice so far. We have our own rooms but have to share a bathroom. (eek! 4 girls to a bathroom!)

IN any case, it's nice having people to wander around town with and to go hiking with.

I haven't been able to get my bike completely assembled yet -- the rear deraulier does not want to cooperate with me. Hopefully I will be able to get someone from the Arctic Bicycling Club to help me out with that tomorrow. It's hard to get around town without a bike or car. Or maybe I just have an awful sense of direction! (i wasn't kidding when i said i wanted a compass for Christmas!)

The roommates and I are went to the Moose's Tooth for dinner. It was yummy

More updates later. I start work Monday. Might go hiking tomorrow. Farewell friends!




No comments: