Sunday, April 13, 2008

Skiing in the White Mountains

High today: 36
Low today: 5

A place exists only 35 miles north of Fairbanks that I didn't know about. Well, I knew about it but didn't know that it was so close! To make up for our busted Denali Hwy trip, the group of us up for it went up to the White Mountains to go skiing.

I actually brought my bike just in case I had to bag the skis. It was my first ski trip and first time not on groomed/track-laid trails, but wanted to see if I could do it. It was 7 miles to Lee's cabin which is where the girls and I stopped to turn back around. The guys were skate-skiing so they went off ahead of us. It was a ton of fun skiing.. I think I could really get into it.. I just love my bike too much to commit to something else. :-)
Kris, Valerie and Kristin before we started out... followed by Steffen and Trevor.
Woohoo we made it!! By mile 10 on the way back I was starting to hit a wall physically. The trip was great though.. can't wait to do it again next year! Glad I got to get out here before the snow is gone.. the original owner of my skis suggested getting up to Lee's cabin so here you go!

No comments: