Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Whooooooosh!

I headed straight south to where I was at yesterday, a little farther out of town than I usually travel, but a nice little spot without too many cars zooming by. It didn't seem like the aurora was going to pick up and get bright like the last couple of nights, but after playing the patience game for about 10 minutes, it finally started getting cool. I set up the tripod, and the fancy camera I just borrowed from the UAF library today. The aurora just stretched east to west across the sky, dancing in green ribbons. Then, all of a sudden, the pinks came, and I may have been waving my arms into the air at it saying "yes! YES! go! GO!!!!", of which my roommate says that he wishes he had on video. With the borrowed camera, I had a tough time figuring out exactly what settings were and were not working for the aurora shots, so they are not perfect, and do absolutely no justice for what I actually saw underneath the northern sky, but it's my only way of sharing it with you who don't live here. The colors were much more saturated in real life, and the feeling of being under such a feature in the silence of the night is something that once you experience it, no one can take it away from you. And that is why I'm thankful to be here today.

No comments: