Friday, March 14, 2008

A Day Skiing in Girdwood

Girdwood is hands down, one of the most fun places in Alaska that I've been to. This is where I went paragliding last summer. If you followed my blog this past summer then you'll remember the story of the falling shoe. If not, you should check it out -the link to the old blog is on the right! Alyeska is a big ski resort in Alaska, in fact the only large ski resort in Alaska (I think) unless Juneau has one.. It's located just off of the Seward Hwy with a beautiful view of the Turnagain Arm. Nikole and Cameron came down with me and we met up with Kristen to enjoy the slopes.
Is this real? Am I actually skiing at a real mountain resort??
Kristen had a bit of an encounter with a small spruce tree.. here's a (slightly) dramatized version of the result state.
"Ooooooooooo!" is exactly what came out of my mouth with big excited eyes when we saw this person ski-paragliding.. Nikole's immediate reaction was "oh goodness...". Haha.. maybe someday. :-)
Kristen, Nikole and Cameron ready to get an early well-deserved dinner!
Kristen took me up chair #1 which takes you pretty high up on the mountain. It was the highest we could get to for night skiing. Apparently night is after 5pm.. I thought it was when it got dark!! I guess that whole lack of darkness thing is beginning to be a problem around here.
There was just a GIANT bowl of snow to play in at the top of the lift. It was by far my favorite part of the mountain. There was barely anyone up there when we got there!
Kristen ready to bomb down the bowl.. she is a beast of a skiier!

2 comments:

theorbo said...

That looks so much fun! It never looks like there are many people where you are skiing, which seems so great!

Stef said...

Amazing weather...I'm wicked jealous. We pretty much had "the perfect storm" conditions while we were there...and even then...the skiing was still phenomenal! I'm glad you had a blast!!